DON’T FEAR THE BEARD:
TIPS ON HOW TO GROOM YOUR BEARD
If you are a fan of the full facial hair experience, you know that a great B.E.A.R.D. = being exceptional among regular dudes. And to truly achieve such exceptionalism, it’s essential to understand the beard, to revere the beard and most importantly, know how to care for the beard! Fortunately, this glorious ode to manliness has been around for centuries and well-groomed men everywhere can now use these easy tips to keep their beards looking absolutely epic!
- Patience makes the beard grow longer – Even though it can be itchy and awkward during its formation, resisting the urge to trim or style your newly sprouted beard in the first month or two, is essential. Everyone’s beard grows at a different pace so be patient until yours has a chance to fill in evenly.
- Cleanliness is next to beardliness – Keeping your beard clean is as important as keeping the hair on your head clean but can be more difficult because you essentially eat with your beard too! Shampoo it just as you would your scalp and use conditioner to keep coarse beard hair softer. Avoid vigorous towel drying and pat your beard dry to keep it from looking frizzy.
- Show me the shape of your beard – Decide on a beard shape and style that suits your face. If your face is rounded and full, shape your beard with strong lines around the jaw to minimize curves. For angular faces, a longer beard can lend a fuller look to your face. During the growth period and launch of your beard, trim and train your beard based on the shape you have chosen.
- Speaking of training – Training your beard requires regular trimming and nothing relaxes a beard like a nice rub of good quality beard oil. Use a beard comb or brush after applying the beard oil and soon your beard will be soft, shiny and smell great!
- Tools of the trade – Like anything else, having the right tools make any job easier. Invest in a good quality adjustable beard trimmer, trimming scissors and a beard comb and brush. Through trial and error, you will figure out the best way to trim your beard for optimal results.
- When to say when – to trim – Knowing when to trim is as important as trimming in general so be careful not to over trim or to not trim enough. And never trim a wet beard. Just as your hair is longer when wet, your beard will appear longer too and you can end up trimming too much off of a wet beard.
- Don’t fear commitment – You have to commit to a beard maintenance routine. If you vary too far from a regular scheduled trim, wash or shaping, you can be right back where you started in pre-beard purgatory.