Whether you were born with naturally curly hair, straight hair, or something in between, you’ve likely experienced some uncontrollable hair days from time to time. To make the most of your natural hair texture, you need to use the right products, styling tools, and maintenance tips to truly shine. Here are some helpful tips for bouncy, frizz-free curls or shiny, straight locks.
Curly Hair Tips
Curly hair tends to crave moisture, that’s why when it’s humid out and there is a lot of moisture in the air, curly hair tends to frizz. The hair shaft opens to soak in all that hydration. To minimize frizz and get more perfectly formed curls, you need to follow a routine to moisturize your hair and minimize damage. Here is a recommended routine to get the most out of your curls.
- Wash your hair with a co-wash or sulfate-free shampoo. Don’t wash it too frequently.
- Scrunch a handful of conditioner through your hair until it feels fully coated and slick, and then detangle with a wide-tooth comb.
- Rinse out most, but not all, of the conditioner. Then scrunch a handful of curl enhancing leave-in cream throughout your wet hair.
- Squeeze the excess water out of your hair with a cotton T-shirt and let air dry.
- Avoid brushing or combing your curls after they are dry. Scrunch with your hands for curl definition, or gently rake with your fingers to loosen curls that are too tight.
- Avoid using a blow dryer or hot tools on your hair if possible. If you must use a blow dryer, use a diffuser.
- To extend the life of your curls, put your hair in a high, loose ponytail on the top of your head when you sleep at night.
Straight Hair Tips
Straight hair is more likely to be oily and attract dirt, which can weigh hair down and make it fall flat. To get the style technique and shine you love, follow these straight hair tips.
- Wash your hair every other day with a sulfate-free shampoo. You may also want to use dry shampoo on your days off to absorb oil at the roots.
- Be cautious with conditioner. Choose a light formulation that won’t weigh your hair down, and never apply it to your roots or scalp.
- Create volume with a texturizing spray and blow dry your hair upwards from the roots. You can also add volume by having your stylist add some layers to your cut.
- Fight frizz with a dry oil or serum.
- As you finish blow drying your hair, blast it with some cool air to help set your style and add shine.
- Consider sleeping on a silk pillowcase to retain your style overnight.
Come to the Shore!
If you love working with hair, whether curly or straight, Shore Beauty School can help you learn the skills you need to find a beauty career that you will truly love. Check out our Cosmetology Program to learn more.